Assembla’s Wiki tool helps collect and share the knowledge of the team that can be lost in email inboxes and shared network drives. Use the wiki to document instructions, ideas, specifications, and just about anything that needs to be easily referenced by your team.
Your wiki’s Home page is a default landing page and it can not be removed. This is an ideal page to put a welcome message, link to important pages/resources, or provide instruction on how the team uses Assembla.
Creating and Editing Wiki Pages
Create New Wiki Page
Private: Only available to Owners and Members - and not the Watcher role.
Archived: This is a designation for wiki pages that you want removed from the main navigation, but still available (not deleted).
- Enter the desired content using the WYSIWYG editor. You can use the HTML feature to insert raw HTML;
- (Optional) You can enter a comment that will appear in the project Stream to add aditional detail regarding your new page or edit of an existing page;
- When done, click on the ‘Create Page’ button under the editor.
Edit existing Wiki Pages
Navigate to the desired wiki page and select the ‘Page Actions’ dropdown in the top right. Edit the page and click on the ‘Save Changes’ button at the bottom of the page. For more detailed information about visibility, parent page, and other wiki page settings, see the “Create New Wiki Pages” section above.
View and Rollback Page History
If you saved over a previous version of a wiki page, you can use the ‘Page Actions’ dropdown in the top right to access the “Page History” feature. There are two ways to use this feature:
Compare the difference between two version: Under the “Recent Versions” section in the sidebar, you can check off two different versions and click on the “Show Diff” button to view changes between any two version.
Rollback to a previous version: Click on the desired version under the “Recent Versions” section in the sidebar and you will see a button at the top of the wiki content to ‘Rollback To This Version.”
Team members with Owner permissions are able to access the WIKI SETTINGS section under the list of wiki pages in the left panel of the Wiki tool. In this section, you can rearrange the wiki navigation and customize global wiki settings.
Edit Wiki Navigation
Once you have created multiple wiki pages, you may want to rearrange the wiki page order. This can be done by clicking on the “Re-order Wiki Pages” section and dragging and dropping pages into the desired order. When you are done, click on the ‘Save Changes’ button. See instructional video below:
Wiki Configuration Options
The Configure Wiki section is comprised of two sections:
The General section that is used for:
- Enabling or disabling comments for wiki pages
- Enabling or disabling CamelCase links
- Setting the default wiki markup (editor) format. By default, the editor is set to WYSIWYG but Textile, a more traditional and less visual editor option is available. For more information on the Textile format, check out this resource.
The Custom Permissions section:
- By default, the wiki permissions will take the default project permissions which is Members have view/edit access and Watchers have view only access and can not edit wiki page. In this section, you can change these permission which will override the default project permissions - for example, allow Watchers to edit wiki page or not access wiki pages at all.
If you have any questions or need our assistance, don't hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.